Wednesday, June 01, 2022
Each June, Pride Month celebrates the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning+ (LGBTQ+) community and the impact LGBTQ+ individuals have had on history. AgeGuide’s mission is to empower all older adults and caregivers to remain independent, connected and to age well, including LGBTQ+ older adults and their caregivers.
Before the global health threat of COVID-19 or the national conversation about systemic racism began, AgeGuide was preparing to address the question of how Older American Act services could better serve diverse older adults.
With assistance from SAGECare trainings, AgeGuide staff and our funded partner organizations are becoming SAGECare Bronze credentialed providers, which involves continued education in providing culturally competent care and fostering a welcoming environment for LGBTQ+ older adults.
AgeGuide is proud to share the resources below to support the Aging Network’s ongoing efforts to create welcoming and affirming environments that will help LGBTQ+ individuals feel safe and accepted and offer services and resources to support their health, well-being and social connectedness in the communities where they live.
- Howard Brown Health: One of the nation’s largest LGBT organizations providing health and social services to LGBTQ+ individuals of all ages.
- Senior Rainbow Assistance Program: Mission is to provide temporary assistance for LGBTQ+ seniors experiencing temporary hardships due to medical or financial concerns.
- Center Link – The Community of LGBT Centers:
- Find a local center: www.lgbtcenters.org/LGBTCenters
- Aids Foundation of Chicago – HIV Resource Hub
- Open Door Health Center of Illinois – ODHC has been opening doors to health care and wellness for over 40 years, serving the Fox Valley region and beyond, from our health centers in Elgin and Aurora. ODHC specializes in providing health care to the LGBTQ plus community and specializes in providing quality culturally competence health care to all people, with the goal of reducing and eliminating disparities in health care.